Swim England Assistant Swim Coach
Swim England Swimming Assistant (Coaching)
The Swim England Swimming Assistant (Coaching) course is designed to provide you with an introduction to the knowledge, skills and understanding of the safe and ethical principles for effective coaching practices in swimming.
Prerequisites: You must be 16 years of age at the start of the course.
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification although we strongly recommend that you have a minimum of 6 months poolside experience working alongside a Coach (or have a Swimming Teacher qualification).
Course Timetable (All sessions must be attended) - Theory Sessions via Zoom
- 17th March 2023 - 18.00-21.00
- 18th March 2023 - 10.00-13.00
- 19th March 2023 - 10.00-13.00
- 24th March 2023 - 18.00-21.00
- 25th March 2023 - 10.00-13.00
- 26th March 2023 - 10.00-13.00
**Please note that practical details will be confirmed whilst you are on the course
With our course programme you will have the opportunity to work with our qualified tutor who will support you through observing & assisting swim lessons as a progressive and developmental programme.
All courses will start online, exploring the theoretical elements through a series of virtual classrooms using both Zoom and Google Classroom. You will then complete the practical elements of your courses at designated Swim Wales practical venue.
This course is for anyone who wants to take the first step to becoming a swimming coach or interested in supporting a coach in a club environment.
As an aspiring coach, this course will equip you with the knowledge and tools to actively support a more experienced Swim England Swimming Coach in the delivery of a pre-prepared training session.
The course is delivered through a mixture of classroom activities and practical poolside learning. You will participate in at least three training sessions, coaching swimmers at county standard and above, to gain hands on practical experience.
You will learn about:
- The role of the assistant coach
- Importance of positive coaching behaviour
- Physical literacy in swimming
- Competitive swimming skills
- Para swimming
- Types of training used to develop swimmers
- How to deliver pre-planned coaching sessions
- How to carry out reflective practices of your coaching