SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching)
This qualification is a practical qualification, which develops the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to be a Swimming Assistant (Teaching).
This has been endorsed by CIMSPA as meeting the requirements of the assistant swimming teacher professional standard.
Prerequisites: All learners are required to be a minimum age of 16 years at the start of the course.
Online theory elements delivered via Zoom on the following dates:
- Monday 17th October - 6.00pm - 9.00pm
- Wednesday 19th October - 6.00pm - 9.00pm
- Friday 21st October - 6.00pm - 9.00pm
- Sunday 30th October - 10.30am - 1.30pm
Practical Assessments will be available at the following venues
*Please note that you will only be required to attend one of the below sessions to complete the practical assessment, the date of your practical session will be confirmed with your tutor during the course
- Wales National Pool, Sketty Lane, Sketty, Swansea SA2 8QG - Wednesday 2nd and Thursday 3rd November
- Pontypool ALC, Trosnant Street, Pontypool NP4 8AT - Wednesday 2nd and Friday 4th November
- Jade Jones LC, Jade Jones Pavilion, Earl Street, Flint CH6 5ER - Week commencing 31st October (dates TBC)
This course develops your knowledge, skills and abilities as an assistant swimming teacher. It will enable you to actively support a qualified swimming teacher in the delivery of a planned learn to swim session.
With our course programme you will have the opportunity to work with our qualified tutor who will support you through observing & assisting swim lessons as a progressive and developmental programme.
All courses will start online, exploring the theoretical elements through a series of virtual classrooms using both Zoom and Google Classroom.
THE FOLLOWING IS THE AVERAGE HOURS YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO COMMIT TO THE COURSE:
21 hours online via Zoom and 2 hours practical assessment with your tutor.
Approximately 7hrs supported self- study to include completion of portfolio evaluation and review record.
You will learn about:
- The legal aspects of assisting in swimming lessons
- The responsibilities of a Swimming Assistant
- The swimming pathway, fundamental movement, core aquatic skills and component parts of strokes
- Scientific principles of swimming
- What makes up a lesson plan, equipment and communications skills
- How to identify anxiety and use of motivational techniques
- The type of assistance you can provide