SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching)
This qualification is a practical qualification, which develops the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to be a Swimming Assistant (Teaching).
This has been endorsed by CIMSPA as meeting the requirements of the assistant swimming teacher professional standard.
Prerequisites: All learners are required to be a minimum age of 16 years at the start of the course.
Online theory elements delivered via Zoom on the following dates:
**Please note that all sessions must be attended
- Saturday 20th May, 9.30am - 4.00pm
- Sunday 21st May, 10.00am - 3.15pm
- Saturday 27th May, 10.00am - 3.30pm
- Sunday 28th May, 10.00am - 3.30pm
- 1 to 1's on 17th & 18th June (Times TBC)
The practical elements of the course will also take place at the following venues:
- 3rd and 4th June (8.00am-11.00am), Cardiff International Pool, Olympian Drive, Cardiff CF11 0JS
- 2nd and 5th June (4.00pm-7.00pm), Penlan Leisure Centre, Heol Gwyrosydd, Penlan, Swansea SA5
- 7th June (4.00-6.00pm) Abergele Leisure Centre, Faenol Ave, Abergele LL22 7HE
**Please inform Swim Wales which preference you have with regards, to which venue
This course develops your knowledge, skills and abilities as an assistant swimming teacher. It will enable you to actively support a qualified swimming teacher in the delivery of a planned learn to swim session.
With our course programme you will have the opportunity to work with our qualified tutor who will support you through observing & assisting swim lessons as a progressive and developmental programme.
All courses will start online, exploring the theoretical elements through a series of virtual classrooms using both Zoom, Google Classroom and Face to Face..
You will learn about:
- The legal aspects of assisting in swimming lessons
- The responsibilities of a Swimming Assistant
- The swimming pathway, fundamental movement, core aquatic skills and component parts of strokes
- Scientific principles of swimming
- What makes up a lesson plan, equipment and communications skills
- How to identify anxiety and use of motivational techniques
- The type of assistance you can provide