Dave Haller MBE
Dave Haller MBE and Head Coach to City of Cardiff Swimming Club has announced his retirement from the sport after 47 years of coaching, including, 10 Olympic Games as Great Britain National Coach, 12 Commonwealth Games as National Coach to England, Hong Kong and Wales
Dave Haller has an impressive pedigree in the world of swimming. An Olympian himself, representing Great Britain in Tokyo in 1964, Dave has been the UK’s most successful swimming coach over the past 45 years and has coached 45 swimmers to every Olympic Games since 1968.
He coached David Wilkie and Duncan Goodhew to Olympic Gold Medals and sprinter, Mark Foster who represented the City of Cardiff Swimming Club in 1996 when he swam at the Atlanta Olympics going on to set no less than 7 world records in the pool.
He has also coached at twelve Commonwealth Games and three Asian games (for the Hong Kong squad). His swimmers have achieved six World records, ten Olympic medals (including three golds), 32 Commonwealth medals and over 20 European and World Championship medals.
After Dave’s initial appointment as Head Coach with the formation of the City of Cardiff Swimming Club in 1974, he returned to the Club in 1991 following successful coaching roles in Scotland, England and Hong Kong where he was coach to the National Team.
On his return to Cardiff, Dave Haller was instrumental in the success of Cardiff’s own Olympic medallist David Davies guiding him to Olympic Bronze in the 1500m Freestyle in Athens, 2004 followed by Silver in the 10K Open Water in Beijing 4 years later.
Scottish Swimming honoured Dave with a coaching award for the work he has done with Gregor Tait. Gregor won two golds and two bronze medals at the 2006 Commonwealth Games, the best performance ever by a Scottish athlete in any sport at the Commonwealth Games.
His coaching success has continued throughout his illustrious career having 2 Cardiff swimmers on the team for London 2012, Ieuan Lloyd and David Davies for his 3rd Olympics.
In 2014, six of his swimmers from the City of Cardiff Swimming Club were selected for the Welsh Team in the XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
- Hall of Fame 2012 recipient
- BBC Wales Coach of the Year 2004
- Sports Council for Wales ‘Sports Coach of the Year’ 2004 & 2006
- Great Britain Swimming Coaches Association ‘Coach of the Year’ award no less than nine times
- Awarded MBE for services to Sport in 2008
- British Swimming Coaches Association has presented Dave with the accolade ‘Performance Coach of the Year’ and the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ for 40 years of swimming coaching.
- In the Commonwealth Games at Melbourne 2006 Dave coached David Davies to Gold in the 1500m & bronze in the 400m.