In the world of Disability Swimming, Wales punches well above
its weight. One of the three British Swimming Paralympic High
Performance Centres (HPCs) is located at the Wales National Pool in
Swansea. In recent years this HPC has become a hotbed for rising
swimming stars. Not least because, in Head Coach Billy Pye,
we have probably the best Disability Swimming coach in Britain.
Look at these amazing facts:
- The Wales National Pool in Swansea is one of just three British
Swimming Paralympic High Performance Centres in the UK.
- Head Coach Billy Pye has an astounding record, having coached
Paralympic champions like David Roberts, Eleanor Simmonds, Liz
Johnson and Gareth Duke.
- There are currently ten swimmers training at the HPC in Swansea
- all on World Class programmes.
- Four of these swimmers are competing in the London 2012
- Swim Wales has three National Disability Squads designed to
feed swimmers into the High Performance Centre.
- There are seven swimmers currently on a British Swimming World
- Talent Cymru currently supports four Development swimmers.
The future for Disability Swimming looks
- Swimmers with a hearing impairment able to compete
internationally at Deaflympics, World and European
- Para Swimming is part of the Commonwealth Games programme.
- Paralympic Pathway open to swimmers with a Physical, Visual and